Skip to main content

Contracted Or I Just Watched A Zombie Movie

Seems like horror fans fall into two buckets these days: zombie lovers and zombie haters. That dividing line just keeps getting deeper and darker the more zombies gain "mainstream popularity".

I currently fall into the "I am so tired of zombies I could puke" bucket. I haven't stopped watching zombie movies so much as I've started avoiding them at all costs, literally watching every other subgenre offering I stumble onto, regardless of how terrible it is.

I seriously re-watched Wishmaster this past week. That's how far out of my way I've been going to avoid the significant number of zombie movies flooding Netflix.

Then I accidentally watched one.

Contracted - 2013

I'm sure it was partially due to the really terrible movie synopsis that Netflix provided, which I'm prepared to admit that they may have nothing to do with and that I likely didn't read it very well.

In a strange twist of events, the movie cover actually helped persuade me to watch it. I know you typically read my complaints about movie covers and how the bad art made me skip a movie multiple times, so this was a nice change.

I think I harp on movie art so often because I love great horror art and I believe that strong design speaks well of your product. I find it disappointing when people scrimp on their cover art - it's a missed opportunity to generate more interest in their movie, create more merchandising opportunities, and to foster respect for their craftsmanship.

Thus ends my business rant and begins my content write up.

Aside from some sub-par acting, Contracted offers amazing, Cronenberg level body horror within an interesting story that just happens to turn into a zombie movie - without anyone ever saying the word "zombie".

The gist of the movie goes something like this: young, beautiful lesbian is date raped by a man whose face you never see and catches "something" from him. Her sordid past comes back to haunt her as the "something" rapidly turns her into a zombie and no one wants to help her.

There is unmistakeable subtext kicking around in this movie: Rape victims often encounter disbelief about their attack, especially if they are "slutty". Unprotected sex with strangers could kill you. Drinking and using drugs could lead you into trouble. So on and so forth, as is appropriate for the history of the horror genre.

Never seeing the rapist's face is an interesting plot device.
You never see his face but you do see him more than once in the movie. None of those times does he seem to be turning into a zombie. This is immensely powerful in that it builds fear around not knowing if or when he'll attack again, but it is also a misdirection. You don't easily put together the pieces that what he's given to her is "zombification" as he remains unaffected.

For me, more importantly, the effects were great and some were disturbingly creative. I've rarely seen such a fantastic use of maggots in a movie before. We'll let the fact that they were actually meal worms slide.

Wrap up time.
If you're sick and tired of zombie movies, but you love gross-out horror, give Contracted a try.


You can watch the trailer here:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rebuttal: 17 Disturbing Horror Movies You Will Never Watch Again

When I'm not watching movies, I'm reading about movies. I stumble across all kinds of articles, blog posts, book excerpts, etc. in my quest to absorb as much movie knowledge as possible. Now, I'm snotty and loud-mouthed and opinionated but I'd never begrudge another human their opinion. Seriously. You're absolutely welcome to have any opinion about any thing you want. However, I must warn you, if I think your opinion is stupid, I'm absolutely going to say so. I've recently stumbled on an article completely  brimming with so many idiotic opinions that I'm actually compelled to craft a response. Here's the gist of the original article: there are some horror movies out there that are so disturbing , you'll only ever want to watch them once. I've have taken her original list and refuted her claims without pulling her entire article over. You can read the original article here . Let's start at the beginning, with her opening statement

Escape From Tomorrow

I love creative people who are willing to take risks with their art. I appreciate the refusal to do things by the rules. I'm also terribly impatient with mediocrity. Enter  Escape From Tomorrow . Created by a team of rogue filmmakers, the movie was shot in the video mode of high-end still cameras. Actors shared scripts and shooting locations across their smartphones. Shot on location at Disney World, the parks were completely unaware this was all going on right under their mouse ears. I wanted to love Escape From Tomorrow. More than that, I wanted to be completely taken with its ingenuity and creativity and - oh yes - its originality. And there is really a simple brilliance to their covert plan; all families are roaming around the parks, taking videos and chatting on their phones. Just blend the fuck in, act like you belong, and you won't get caught. Too bad the movie can be summed up as: ambitious but Rubbish. As you can imagine (or possibly know), there was a ton of con

The Witch (2015)

You know the drill - there's ALWAYS spoilers. Don't want the movie ruined for you, come back after you've seen it. Also - I'm still without an editor - typos and bad grammar await you! I keep hoping that the cultural obsession with zombies will end; literally every other damn movie that comes 'round seems to feature some sort of shambling, undead being bent on devouring the weak flesh of regular humans. Once upon a time, zombies have have been used as a metaphor for the blind consumerism created by our capitalist society, or the perceived depletion of resources by immigrants, or even the ravages of time and disease on our frail bodies. Now it seems that the deeper social commentary has been lost as audiences mindlessly consume "zombie fiction" in an attempt to keep up with trends. ( How very meta - a film buddy of mine commented on this assessment! ) All of this is just a sideways rant, leading up to my actual point: it seems that zombie may actually